The new edition 2018 edition of CSA Z462 – Workplace Electrical Safety is now available. This the 4th edition to the standard is based on the latest edition of NFPA 70E – Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace to tie into the 2018 Canadian Electrical Code, Part I.
This edition provides enhanced requirements to ensure workers install, operate, and maintain electrical equipment safely. Further the requirements are aimed at
establishing more robust electrical safety programs in workplaces.
The key aspects of the updated standard include:
- Safety controls must be developed and prioritized based on documented risk assessments.
- Requirements for condition of maintenance, periodic inspections, and program auditing have been added to the section on electrical safety programs.
- The hierarchy of control is now mandatory with a new requirement that makes hazard elimination the first priority in the implementation of safety-related work practices.
- Electrical safety programs are now required to include the investigation of “near miss” incidents.
- The minimum threshold for potentially-hazardous energy has been reduced from 50V to 30V.
- The process for shock risk assessment is now aligned with the arc flash risk assessment process.
- Arc blast is now recognized as a category of electrical hazards.
- Various tables and Annex information has been relocated and updated.
Need help with your electrical safety program or understanding how the new standard affects your program, contact EKG Inc